Translate

Thursday 30 April 2015

Guest Post - House of Boys

It never ceases to amaze me how a room with two sleeping boys, ages four and two, can smell like a frat house. They’re still just wee ones, but already I’m seeing glimpses of my future.
I am the sole girl in a house full of boys. This becomes abundantly clear to me in moments when a room erupts in laughter over booger explosions or bodily functions that result in foul smells, when they ask dad to play sports with them because he’s better at it, or when they want to do things “like dad,” such as peeing standing up. I’m assured by several men I know, especially those who only have brothers, that it’s only bound to get worse. Maybe worse is a harsh way to put it, but the point is, there will always be things for which my sons will default to my husband and situations in which I'll be somewhat sidelined.
That's not to say that there aren't days when it's supremely awesome to be the reigning queen. As much as I’m the odd gal out in some respects, being the only one does hold certain advantages. My littles are learning early that proper respect is important, and they’re all quick to shower me with love and thanks when I make their favourite meal or help them with a fun project. They’re turning into little gentlemen, just like their dad, and they all know how to make mama feel special.
And I'd be remiss not to mention the inevitable question that comes with this scenario: "Are you going to try again for a girl?" It always strikes me funny, as if to say I might have the opportunity to choose. If we were to decide to have a third child, it would be to expand our family, regardless of sex.
I’d rather not speculate, in writing at least, on the future of my fertility. Though, I will say that it is sort of weird to think that I may never have a daughter. I guess because my mum has both a daughter and a son, my mother in law has both, and many of my friends have both, I had a notion in the back of my mind that I’d be in the same situation, to get to forge a mother-daughter relationship in which I was the former instead of the latter.
But the truth is, no matter what the future holds, I'm very content with my happy, hectic little home just the way it is. I've grown quite accustomed to my house full of boys. Super heroes, Hot Wheels, Lego and sports gear are my game.
I have two completely unique kids who give me more fulfillment than I ever thought possible. I wouldn't give up my boys for all the tutus and hair bows in the world. Motherhood is motherhood - regardless of which way the coin flips, you always win.
Lindsey Bunin is mum to two busy boys, wife to a pretty perfect husband (who is also a twin!) and a full time editor. She lives in the suburbs of Halifax and blogs at www.mamasmanuscript.wordpress.com and http://thechronicleherald.ca/author/lindsey-bunin-my-hectic-home.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Lindsey! Your boys are the sweetest! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your boys are very cute! You must be one proud mother. What a great attitude you have towards the questions about trying for a girl! I believe that any child is first and foremost a unique person and only then a boy or a girl.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...