Translate

Thursday 25 July 2013

Friday Funday - Prince Edward Island


When I was a kid PEI was a smaller version of Disneyland. It was a magical, storybook place hidden away on an island. It was like a whole other world to me. I loved riding the ferry, driving along all the farms, and quaint villages. It felt like one big amusement park surrounded by the ocean.
Everything was just better in PEI. Drinks came in glass bottles, the ice cream tasted creamier, and life seemed more slow paced. Vacation in PEI meant Cows Ice Cream, lobster suppers, staying at a cozy cottage, and visiting the many theme parks on the island. We're big fans of Anne of Green Gables and Road to Avonlea. It's fun to visit and see some of the places you recognize from television.
Of course things may feel differently for those who live there. I've only ever gone to PEI for vacation so all my visits had a free-spirited vacation feel to them. I still feel a little of that magic just thinking about the island.
There's still something about the feeling you get when you first see the Wood Islands lighthouse. It's still so exciting to me, and I'm 31. PEI has so much beauty and history that you fall in love with over and over again. It still holds a nostalgic place in my heart, and now I see my kids making room for PEI in theirs.

This Friday Funday will be spent in PEI ! We are headed there today for the weekend.
Mike and I have been taking our kids there every summer since we met, even if it was just for a day. We always take the ferry instead of the Confederation Bridge, visit Cows Ice Cream, and Shining Waters Fun Park .
We've taken in other attractions like Anne of Green Gables, Ripley's Believe it or not, and the Cavendish Boardwalk. It's fun to visit new attractions each year. On our last trip to PEI we visited the Haunted Mansion. Unfortunately, no one actually went inside the mansion and my husband is still upset over it. We did visit the water gardens and a few rides they had set up there. We also took a trip to the Cavendish Beach in the evening and it was beautiful!

At Green Gables circa 2008

Mike with Lily and Madison on the Charlottetown waterfront
Visiting Cows Ice Cream last year


There are still some attractions on the island we haven't visited that are on my list:
Avonlea Village
Grandpa's Antique Photo Studio

I've only ever driven from Wood Islands, through Charlottetown and as far as Summerside, so I would love to someday take a complete tour of the whole island.

I'm hoping for sun all weekend! It's not looking like it, maybe stay tuned for a blog post on how to enjoy PEI without ever going outside?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...